Monday, April 15, 2013

Which Produce Do You Need to Eat or Juice Organic

As many of you know a little over a year ago I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead by Joe Cross and started on my journey of a new physical life. I juice many of my meals and even at times go months on end with only juice and water as my daily food. I have often wondered if I can afford it should I be using all Organic produce in my meals. I set about doing some reading and studying on this subject and have come to the conclusion for myself, there are some items I must juice and eat organic....others I am fine non organic as long as I know they are not GMO ( food derived from genetically modified organisms.)

Dirty Dozen Plus (Produce you need to eat Organic)
Apples Celery, Sweet Bell Peppers, Peaches, Strawberries, Nectarines (imported), Grapes, Spinach, Lettuce, Cucumbers, Blueberries (domestic), Potatoes, Greens/ Kale, Green Beans

Clean 15 (lowest in pesticides)
Onions, Sweet Corn (note: Many corns are produced from GMO seeds and not marked at store so if you are worried about GMO buy Organic Sweet Corn),
Pineapples, avocado, cabbage, sweet pea, asparagus, mangoes, egg plants, kiwi, cantaloupes (domestic), sweet potatoes, grapefruits, watermelons and mushrooms.

I know last summer, a study was released that said there was little nutritional difference in Organic and non Organic but one has to remember that there are folks behind these studies. Also it is not simply the nutrition and vitamins that are driving us to eat organic but also no drugs, chemicals and pesticides. I personally find that I can tell the difference in Organic and No Organic produce (yes we did a blind taste several times).

To help cut down on the high cost of Organic try to shop at your local farmer's market or search online for an Organic Farmer in the area. Many of these farmers WILL SELL DIRECTLY to us little folks. It never hurts to ask...all they can say is No. Most will actually say YES as they want to get their produce into the hands of everyone.

Til Tomorrow
Stay Healthy and Juice On!

No comments:

Post a Comment